Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Results Are In

(Deep breath)....Sorry it took me some time to write, I think I was just absoribing everying the past day or so.  So I went back to the RE on Tuesday and got all of our blood results back.  My husbands blood work all came back fine. Then he got to me.  Well my CD 21 bloods confirmed that I'm not ovulating on my own.  He said I may once in a while, but I'm not all the time.  Then he told me I have a blood clotting issue.  I have something called MTHFR (I know...when I looked at it I thought the same thing).  It's a gene mutation that causes my blood to clot at a higher rate. So he put me on 4 more mg of folic acid a day, so I'm taking 5 mg total with my prenatals.  Something interesting he also told me was that when I was little I got my measels mumps and rubella shot, either it didn't work or somehow the rubella part is not longer in my body.  He said I needed to get that shot done before I could get pregnant.  He also said within two months of getting that, I wasn't allowed to conceive.  My heart sank to the ground when he said that. I know two months isn't a long time but in ttc world it seems like forever. Although we started discussing our next steps and he said since I have already done IUI and clomid he thinks the best bet for us would be IVF with ICSI due to dh's morphology. Which essesntially is they actually insert the sperm into the egg. He said due to my PCOS we would do a long protocol of medicine and realistically since we're doing that, getting the shot is only pushing us back a few weeks.  He also told me losing a little weight would be a good idea to get a better handle on my PCOS. So he told me to call when I got my period and we would see if we could start medication this month or the following cycle.

So I headed home and when dh got there I was trying to explain everything to him.  He had questions about MTHFR that I didn't have answers for so we looked it up online.  WORST IDEA EVER!!! The first thing that pops up is MTHFR and pregnancy.  In it it says that woman with MTHFR are more like to miscarry and are more likely to give their child chromosonal deformities like down syndrome.  Well with that the flood gates opened and I was sobbing in his lap.   My main thing was if thats the case that I could give our child chromosonal deformities like that, could I really do that to a child??  But in the same token I felt like my doctor would have brought it up if it was that great of a chance.

The next morning I woke up with AF in full force.  So I called the doctors office and scheduled a sonogram and blood work for tomorrow. I asked them about what I found online and I spoke to the nurse and she said yes, that is a possibility but thats why the doctor but me on more folic acid to reduce to risk greatly.  That made me feel a little better.  I called my primary doctor to schedule getting my Rubella shot.  I told her about the MTHFR and she told me yes, you will have to be on blood thinners when you get pregnant.  Now, I was very confused about that because my RE told me on Tuesday night that they wouldn't put me on blood thinners. Soooo thats something I will have to address when I got to my RE tomorrow.

I also spoke to the RE's office about how much this was all going to cost.  Our insurance covers 3 IVF in your lifetime and they cover 75% of it.  So they told us, our total due would come out to about  $2000 per cycle.  Which in the scheme of things isn't that bad...but it doesn't include any medications.  She also told us it all has to be approved by the insurance first.  I asked my Mom about that because she deals with health insurance stuff at work all the time and she told me that is totally normal.  I can't imagine why they wouldn't cover it.  The woman told me she was going to put the paperwork in yesterday and we should know within 2 days.  So I'm hoping we have answers on that and whether or not we're starting meds or not this cycle by Monday.

So at the moment, I think we'll be looking at a late May/late June IVF....let's hope this is the first step to my success story :)

No comments:

Post a Comment