Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ok, let me start from the beginning....

Well from anyone who read my info to the right, here's a real quick repeat. My name is Heather, I'm 27 years old, and my husband and I are struggling to conceive our first little one.  It's funny back when I was a teenager and even in my early 20's I was pretty sure if a guy looked at me in a sexual manner, I was probably going to get pregnant.  Little did I know the journey I was going to end up on.  Back in 2008, I was diagnosed with PCOS.  From that moment forward I was always told it would be hard for me to conceive.  But even up until we started trying to have a baby, I don't think I ever realized how hard it would really be.  My doctor had said when we were ready to try to conceive to come see him...so thats what we did.  Back in September we went to my OBGYN and said ok doc, we're ready to have a baby.  If it was only that simple.  My doctor started me  on clomid due to my PCOS. Even though they said it was going to be difficult, I'm not going to lie in the next 28 days every little poke and pang I had clearly had to  mean I was pregnant...I wasn't. I took clomid in September, October, and November...still no baby. I had driven myself to near insanity every month thinking everything was a pregnancy symptom and was totally crushed when AF showed her face. In November my doctor told me he wanted my husband to go for a SA. Knowing that I was the issue I was never too worried.  That is until we got the results back.  His numbers were awesome, his motility was ok, but his morphology was the killer.  According to the report my husband only had 5% normal sperm that would be able to fertilize my eggs. I was crushed....did we really have another issue to worry about?? I look around seeing people getting pregnant left and right...many who don't want babies or deserve them for that matter and we're two genuinely good people who are going to have to struggle.  It started to make me really bitter. I continued to take clomid in December, January, and February.  My doctor had suggested because of my husbands morphology we should consider doing IUI's.  My husband had gotten a second SA done and his morphology had dropped down to 2%. So with that, we decided to start IUI. January 20th of this year was our first IUI.  Just like every other month I had convinced myself I was pregnant and again, I wasn't. I asked my doctor a million questions every visit and one of my main questions was to insure I was ovulating. He told me, if you're getting your period, you're ovulating. And then told me Heather, it's not you, it's your husbands morphology. Which was so frustrating because for so long I was told it was going to be me but with me there are things we could have done to control it....his morphology was out of my hands. My doctor told me at our last visit that we really wouldn't do too many IUI's and he thought we should go to an RE.
On to IUI number two......  February 15th, we did our second IUI. I had 5 mature follicles. He told me if you don't get pregnant this time then we should see an RE. I had already made a consultation just in case.  So one February 28th, my hubby and I headed to the  RE.  He was amazing!!! He was so attentive and made me feel like he genuinely cared about us having a baby. I had a typed out page of questions (yes, I'm a little anal) and he answered everyone. I also told him my doctor said if I was getting my period, I was ovulating.  His eyes got huge and he told me that is SOOOO not true (just like I had thought).  He told me the 2 cycles I did IUI's he knows I ovulated because of the Ovidril shots I took but he couldn't guarantee I had all of the other months we were trying to conceive. He also said he thought IVF would be our only way to go due to my husbands morphology.  He sent us off on our way with lists of bloodwork to get done from progesterone to genetics testing.  My husband went for his blood work and they took like 3 viles....I went and they took 23!!! Fair?? I think not. He also told us that we should take this month off from ttc.  So here I am 21days into my cycle..(im)patiently waiting. I went for my CD 21 bloods this morning which will tell us if I am ovulating or not.  We're heading back to the RE this Tuesday (3/27) to get all of our blood work from the past month back.  Hopefully from there we can start a plan for IVF and get this show on the road.  I promise all of my blogs won't be this long...I just had to fit in 7 months into a really short time. I'm hoping with this blog some woman can relate to my issues, others can see into what struggling to ttc is like, and hopefully I can end up with a success story!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment